We continue on a related thread.
The prior was about Assessing the Landscape, which is to look at the entire dynamic within the company and have a framework on how to operate.
How do you navigate the "power-relationships" is one of the hardest and trickiest.
We're going to go through different frameworks on this topic.
- Examine your own beliefs for barriers.
- Adopt a partnerlike mind-set.
- Accept that your boss isn’t and can’t be perfect.
- Assess the gap in power between you and your boss.
- Stop giving away your potential power.
- Understand your boss’s world or specific situation.
- Raise your concern in a direct but nonblaming way.
- Acknowledge your part in any difficulties.
- Accept your boss’s concerns as legitimate.
- Don’t undermine yourself by:
- Prematurely backing off
- Getting defensive
- Trying to assign blame
- Not exploring what really bothers your boss
- Failing to be specific about both of your action steps
- Failing to agree how to handle sliding backward